If you have suffered a recognised psychological injury you can bring a claim to the Injuries Board in respect of that injury. Anxiety, stress, depression, post traumatic stress disorder, have all been recognised as psychological injuries in the courts and you can be compensated if you have suffered these as a result of a road traffic accident, workplace accident, slip trip and fall etc.

In order to prove evidence of your psychological you require an expert report from a doctor confirming that you have suffered from this psychological injury as a result of someone else’s negligence.

Your application for the personal injury claim as a result of the psychological injury must be lodged with the Injuries Board, however, they will not assess the claim and will issue you with an authorisation which will allow you to proceed to court to have your injury assessed by a court.

The best thing to do is to get legal advice from your solicitor who has experience in dealing with cases of this type.

*In contentious business a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award of settlement.

**This information is for guidance purposes only. It does not constitute legal or professional advice, professional or legal advice should be obtained before taking or refraining from any action as a result of the contents of this publication. No liability is accepted by McElhinney & Associates for any action taken in reliance on the information contained herein. Any and all information is subject to change.