If you have been injured as a result of a road traffic accident – whether as a driver, passenger, cyclist or pedestrian – you may have a claim for damages against the person or persons responsible.

At McElhinney & Associates Solicitors, we realise this can be a traumatic experience with potentially serious consequences for you and family, and we act with compassion and professionalism to ensure you receive your entitlements to compensate for your injury.

Once you are well enough, it’s important that you take immediate steps to ensure you have the right legal advice to maximise the damages you receive.

You are assured that right from our first communication, all the details of your personal injury accident claim case will be handled professionally, empathetically and efficiently.

Talk to us about your road traffic accident
Talk to us road traffic claims
Road Accident Claims
Car Accident Claims

Need Urgent Assistance?

Phone us now on +353 74 91 75989

What To Do When Injured In A Road Traffic Accident In Ireland

If you have been injured in a road traffic accident, seek immediate medical assistance regardless of the level of injury sustained. It is important to seek the details of the person or persons responsible for the accident including insurance particulars, vehicle registration, make and model, vehicle colour, name, address and contact details.

It is also important to take photos of the accident scene, if you are in a position to do so, including the location of the vehicles involved immediately following the incident.

The accident should then be reported to local Gardai, if someone else has not already done so, before notifying your insurance provider. When you are well enough to do so, seek legal advice on what to next as soon as possible in order to pursue your compensation claim without adverse consequences.

Our Questions On Road Traffic Accidents Answered

If it is your intention to bring a personal injury action following a road traffic accident, then immediate contact with a solicitor is advised as current legislation states that a letter of claim must be served within one month from the date of the accident in order to avoid adverse consequences for you, the Plaintiff.

If you have been involved in an accident where the person or vehicle is not identified, you are still entitled to make claim. Whether the other vehicle failed to stop or if you did not receive the driver’s insurance details or are given false details, then there are certain steps that can be taken to make a successful claim for compensation. The Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland (MIBI) is the body responsible for compensating victims of accidents caused by uninsured or unidentified vehicles or motorists. It is important that you contact your solicitor as soon as possible as there are very strict conditions in pursuing a claim via this avenue.

Speak to your solicitor before accepting any offer of settlement from an insurance company in respect of your personal injury, as once your claim is settled, you are precluded from re-visiting the matter should a medical complication should arise, or you require further medical treatment in the future in respect of the injuries you have sustained.

Yes. However, when you accept a settlement for vehicle damage, it must be specified that you are accepting the money only on the strict understanding that it doesn’t impede your personal injury claim. To ensure your interests are protected, it is important to seek legal advice before signing any documents regarding a settlement.

What Our Clients Say

“Following a road traffic accident recently, I contacted Jolene McElhinney to see if I had any sort of claim. I had bad injuries that kept me out of work for 6 months. I found her very professional and committed. She made sure I was fully compensated for the injuries and that I received back all my lost wages, and she also looked after my car damage. Very happy, first-class service.”

Seamus G.